In my business, I rarely do anything for free. But that does not mean I will always charge money. Sometimes I ask for things much more valuable than the dollar bill. How about you? Do you do things for free? Or, give away your sample book chapters for free? If you do, you’re giving away too much for nothing in return. That’s not smart business.
Here are a few ideas through which you can give things for “free” but also get much more in return.
- Give people a free chapter of your book, but ask for their email address before they get the free chapter.
- Give people a free chapter of your book, but ask them to “Tweet” a specific message (already drafted by you) before they get the free chapter.
- Give people a free chapter of your book, but ask them to “Share” the link to free chapter on Facebook before they get the free chapter.
But, and that’s a BIG but, before you even think about posting that free chapter on your website, do the following.
- Identify all the major outlets where your book is being sold online.
- Get links to your book’s page from each of the major outlet.
- Get logos of each of the major outlet where your book is being sold.
- Scroll to the bottom of your Free chapter in Microsoft Word.
- Add all the logos and connect them to their respective book page.
Why? Because 99% of the people are never coming back to your website after they download the free chapter. It’s not something that’s easy to hear, but it’s the truth. And once they are off your website, there is 0.01% of chance them actually buying your book. Therefore, if you add book buying links at the end of your free chapter, you will have just increased your odds by many many folds. Get it?
So, get people to pay through their email address or social influence. And then remind them that even though the chapter is free, the book is available for them to purchase at a click of a button.
You may now stop reading, implement these ideas and sell a million copies of your book.
Until I hit the next brilliant idea,